Saturday 11 May 2019

Allotment sucess


So, a few month's ago I put my name down for an allotment and then earlier this year I found out my name had gotten to the top!  Hurrah!

So I am now the proud renter of this plot (not quite a full plot, thank goodness that would be too much for us).  It is about 15 foot x 37 foot (approx) and doesn't have a shed or beds but it does have a compost bin and some tyres!


Not too many weeds, though quite a stony plot so will plant potatoes to try and break up some of the soil this year


The end of the plot has loads of old strawberry plants!  I know these only tend to have a lifespan of 3-5 years before they stop being really productive so I plan on seeing how these fruit this year and then potting up some of the runners if they are strong this autumn ready for next year.



the plots to side of me have sheds but I am lucky that we live close by so I plan on taking the tools that I need on each visit as there seems to be quite a few thefts etc in the area so I am thinking no shed may reduce the risk of plants etc getting trashed by people.

Even though I used to have 2 allotments throughout my 20's I haven't had one since I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis so hubby has kindly agreed to help out with this one and it will be interesting to see how I get on.  I know that some days I struggle to do basic tasks so I am thinking low maintenance so it can be left for a few days when I am not very well.  I was thinking of chipped bark paths and some raised beds as that will help with my mobility and allow me to work from each side of the beds without having to stretch too far.  
I have already started clearing and planting so will update with some photos really soon.

Kyla

3 comments:

  1. Well done and I wish you luck and much produce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen dry days gardening and wet days crafting i reckon!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kyla, I will watch your progress with interest. Great project but hope it doesn't stop you crafting. Have a lovely week, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thanks for reading my blog...feel free to leave a comment