Thought I would catch up with what has been going on at the plot.
The past few weeks we have been busy weeding and digging.
We decided to keep the black plastic on the top left of the plot as there are some thick deep rooted weeds under there so in an effort to break this into smaller tasks to help manage my Rheumatoid Arthritis we have decided to leave this until later in the year/winter to think about dealing with it. I plan on planting some courgettes/squash in the tyres and through the plastic so the space won't go to waste.
The top part was very stony and heavy so we planted potatoes to help break up the soil. Yes, it is old school with the long trenches (remember I was taught to garden in the 70's so I am old school I suppose) and they do resemble buried bodies-but it is main crop spuds! Honest!
We planted some onion sets in the front of the plot and put down some weed control fabric pinned down with some metal wire and piled with bark chippings that the council kindly donate to the site. This will help me with my stability on the site and make it easier for me to walk on a slightly firmer ground. Later in the year I am thinking of edging it with some wood to help keep the chippings in place.
I also bought 4 pallet collars. A bit dearer than I hoped BUT I think this will make life a lot easier for me, easier to reach the middle without stretching and as they fill up I won't have to bend down as much, and if my mobility gets worse then I am thinking I can add another pallet collar on top easily to increase the height even more.
So far so good, I am also toying with the idea of growing some plants for dying fabric too, but that will probably be next year as I need to do a bit of research and see how much space I have when I have my fruit and veggies all growing.