Wednesday 3 November 2021

WOYWW

 Hello peeps, only a quick update from me as the pay the bills job is busy and I have been busy in the evenings catching up on tasks that means sadly very little crafting (though I have done a few bits of inktober catching up but not quite there yet so will post when caught up).

On my desk this week (well last night) the desk was empty (well apart from the usual bits I keep on it) so I thought I would share what I currently have in my window sill (apart from houseplants and micro greens)-yep my winter squashes are hardening off nicely ready to be stored for use through out the winter months. Now I have to admit that I have not 1 but 3 window sills that are currently filled with winter squash (as they are most years in the autumn) so I have to take my hat off to my long suffering husband as he has to look at them and not knock them off!

 


The one on the right is a spaghetti squash, the blue large one at the back is, in my opinion, the best tasting squash there is, Crown Prince (I only managed to grow 2 of these this year on the allotment so they are very precious) the orange one is Uchiki Kuri (often known as red onion squash, I grew about 7 of these) and the striped one is Harlequin.  Now, none of my harlequin grew this year BUT I found a local farm who grew loads and flogged them from their gate for £1 each - so I bought 6 as I know that if they are ripened on a window sill for a couple weeks AND have the stalk attached then they should store happily on a shelf (and they look pretty) for several months and most years these see me through the winter months nicely.

My "Man Bites Dog" cards this week are 'Naked Intern Tricks Mayor'!! Well, as we in Bristol are one of the few cities in the UK to have a Mayor I don't think I should comment!!  ;-)

So, What's on Your Workdesk this Wednesday?

Kyla



13 comments:

  1. So you grow your own spaghetti squash? I don't think I have ever seen on in the stores around here and I used to eat them all the time back in the USA. It's hard to find a good pasta replacement. I recently found canned spaghetti made from Hearts of Palm, so gonna give that a go one day soon :)

    Naked mayor? Oh dear.... :D

    Happy WOYWW
    Mary Anne (1)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have grown squashes in the past but my current veg beds aren’t big enough cos they take a surprisingly large amount of space don’t they?! But they are interesting to look at so I can see why every windowsill in the house in covered, lol!
    HUgs LLJ 5 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall have to Google Spaghetti Squash if it is an alternative to Spaghetti! How do you cook your squashes? I have tried marrow before and I like butternut squash in soup. Happy WOYWW Angela #14

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela I love to roast mine,either in chunks or wedges or in half for the smaller ones then stuffed
      kyla

      Delete
  4. What a fab display! I've never eaten squash or pumpkin , I'm a bit funny about food! Have a good week , don't work too hard x Helen #3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, nice window sill ornaments, edible or not! I never met a squash I didn’t like, soup and roasted, particularly, so am liking the potential!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Squash just because of the lovely colours and patterns on them but have to admit to never having eaten one! Maybe it's something I should try. Your Man Bites Dog is as interesting as ever. You take care and don't over do it which is priceless coming from me as I have a very sore thumb from too much gardening. Wishing you a very happy and creative woyww, Angela x17x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your varieties of squash they are so pretty! Happy WOYWW. Take care and stay safe, With love & God bless, Caro xxx (#16)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your squashes are brilliant, Kyla! I love how decorative they all are. I agree, knocking them off would not be a good idea,especially if they landed on your foot! I've never heard of most of the varieties you named - the only ones our supermarket stock are butternut, and I buy quite a lot of those. Very economical - you get a lot for your money, and highly nutritious and they bulk out lots of dishes too. Love 'em.

    Happy WOYWW,
    Shoshi x #18

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meant to say - thank you for your visit last week and sorry I didn't get around to replying at the time. Thank you for your good wishes for our health. I am doing really well. My hubby now has a date for his colonoscopy - 26th Nov. with a telephone appointment this weekend (presumably some sort of pre-assessment discussion). I am absolutely loving the new royal purple shade from Tim Holtz - it's really rich and deep. You can see it in use on my blog post this week. Enjoy your tofu!

    Shoshi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so pleased to hear that Shoshi and will pop over to see the purple makes
      kyla

      Delete
  10. I must admit that i hadn't realised that there were so many varieties of squash Kyla. Hope the pay the bills job allows you more crafty time soon. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #4

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, our mayor was a lady mayor...up until she wasn't. I knew her, and she didn't like the way my ponies would follow me everwhere and hers ran off when they saw her! What a great variety of squashes and pumpkins!Keep on crafting! Stay safe! Happy WOYWW ((Lyn))#24

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thanks for reading my blog...feel free to leave a comment