Wednesday 6 October 2021

WOYWW

Hello peeps and welcome to my desk!  Well, sort of its actually the garden table with a cover over it as I have been getting the varnish out and it stinks!  A few weeks back I shared with you the wooden plant labels that I bought from a local charity, the Brandon Trust, for adults with learning disabilities and they make stuff out of wood and make these from the offcuts.  They are a decent size (about the length of a paperback book) and are £1.50 for 5 and all the money goes to the charity so I often buy a pack when I go past.  I paint them with acrylic and use a posca paint pen to create the lettering.  I have been slowly making a whole load of them and these are the latest ones.  I then give them 2 coats of yacht varnish to hopefully winter proof them.  Takes a while for the coats to dry before I can turn them over and repeat the process hence it takes a while but I think they are worth it. 



Also thought I would do an update on another make,  my final batch of elderberry vinegar was ready recently.  I do love this and have made it for a few years now.  Its great over salad or even added to soda water to drink like a victorian shrub.  Either way, elderberries are meant to be good for the immune system so its always worth me making some and it tastes delicious too.



So, what's on your workdesk this Wednesday then?

Kyla

9 comments:

  1. Those little plant labels will be great to have. We don't have elderberries in our area that I know of, but I take an Elderberry gummy each day !!! Do you cook with this vinegar or use on salads? Have a great week Happy WOYWW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your plant labels look great; I hope all your hard work protects them through the winter. The elderberry vinegar sounds good. Take care and happy WOYWW Helen #2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely plant labels and elderberry vinegar sounds yum. I've made a few things with elderberries, including a cold and flu remedy that I make every year, works wonders. Happy WOYWW! Elle #21, EOTC

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fabulous plant labels Kyla - and a great charity to support at the same time. I like the sound of that vinegar! Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kyla, I seem to have got behind this week as there have been lots of distractions but always like to try and visit everyone if I can. Looks as though you're keeping busy inside and out. Wishing you a very happy belated woyww, Angela x16x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely post, Kyla, with some very different input this week. The elderberry vinegar sounds amazing. I love to see your produce all bottled up.

    Happy belated WOYWW,
    Shoshi x #13

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love drinking with a Victorian Shrub, makes an elderberry a pleasure! Nice job with the plant stakes, even cut out from off cuts they are really low priced aren’t they. No idea what Uchikikuri is, but I love the name!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely plant labels. I like the idea of elderberry vinegar as well. Could you share a recipe or a link for one please? Elderberries are so good for you
    Many thanks
    Hugs
    Lynnecrafts 15

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne of course. remove berries from stalk into a pan. Cover with cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar) so it just covers the berries. Heat over low heat WITH LID ON for 30 mins. Mash with potato masher. Leave for 2 hrs (or overnight). strain through sieve/muslin into 2nd pan gently heat and dissolve brown sugar to taste *approx 450g sugar for each 600ml fruit vineagr. Pour into sterillised bottles, keeps for up to a year in a dark cool place

      Delete

Hello, thanks for reading my blog...feel free to leave a comment