Wednesday 18 September 2019

WOYWW

Happy hump day and  "What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday" where we bare our desks.

On mine this week it has looked the same most of the past week....mainly because it is preserving season so my crafting has been in the kitchen (or on the computer so sorry if I missed revisiting some blogs in the past week).  I have printed out some labels BUT the wretched inks do NOT last as long as they used to so once again I am going to have to buy some more as this batch have printed quite light.

My "Man Bites Dog" cards this week are "Mayor Tricks General"....ooh!

Scroll on down the page if you'd like to see some of the preserving I have been doing recently, not posted them all as there is rather a LOT this year since I have the allotment.


Have a nasty feeling is this my ONLY batch of elder brandy and elder vinegar this year as sadly the berries have all been shrivelled and not great where I go for my walks (same with the sloes and bullaces-very few on my walks)


For the first time I thought I would try drying my calendula to use in tinctures etc.  My friend has passed me some recipes (thanks Bex) so I have a few ideas.



Made lots of pickled nasturtium seeds this year.  I didn't make any last year and had to buy capers!  Shocked I know, I have made about 6 jars so hoping they will see me through.



Made these the other week, Strawberry Jam.  A fabulous local fruit seller gave me a load of fruit past its sell by rather than binning it so I picked through and had enough to make a few jars of jam.


 Been making LOTS of this.  Marrow and Ginger jam.  Those who follow me on instagram would have seen the HUGE courgettes I have, especially the yellow zephyr ones.  Well these make a delicious ginger jam and I have made about 4 batches so far!  It does take abut 3 hours from start to finish per batch so hard work but worth it as tastes delicious (even added some warmed up to a glass of spiced rum the other day!


Couple batches of spiced courgette chutney to ring the changes (rhubarb wasnt great this year so was low on chutney for winter/spring) its having to wait a few months before I can taste it to find out how it turned out which really frustrates me!


Last but not least, Strawberry Vinegar.  LOVE this, last year I made tons of elderberry vinegar but this year its strawberry as I had a lot on the allotment as well as local producers.  It is like an old fashioned shrub and nice in a cocktail, cooking or my favourite, neat over salad or cous cous. 


 Phew, just need somewhere to store it all now!!

Kyla


11 comments:

  1. I find it so interesting to see what you've grown and made this year - you've had a great time with your allotment. Happy WOYWW Helen #2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by to see your work desk! Your WOYWW friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kyla, been loving seeing all your allotment pics on FB. Amazing amount of produce from it. I know Calendula cream is supposed to be great for sore/dry/cracked skin, and skin irritations too. Have a lovely week, hugs, Shaz #5 X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love seeing rows of jars like that! Do you have a pantry to store them in though? We're thinking about doing the kitchen and a big cupboard is one of my requirements :-)
    Hugs LLJ 4 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interestingly Boris Johnson used to be a Mayor and he's a really tricky customer so who knows! Looks like you've been a very busy lady with all these lovely jars. Have a great woyww and a lovely creative week, Angela x10x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Kyla - sounds like you have been busy. Just love that Calendula photo - one of my favourite flowers but just can't get it established in my gardem (weird as it grows like a weed in some places!!) Happy Hump Day! Cindy #16

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness you have been very busy. Happy WOYWW.
    April #28

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure have been busy well done, belated happy WOYWDW

    Lilian B # 8

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Kyla, love the variety of preserving that you have been up to. I bet it will all be delicious. Happy belated WOYWW. Sarah #3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done, there such a pretty pretty array Kyla, you’re inspiring us all. Space will be found fir them all I’m sure, if you lived nearby I’d pop in for some of the ginger jam, yum!
    Happy WOYWW. Thanks for sharing, Shaz in Oz.x #20

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  11. You could write over the light printd or just hand write the labels then, it would save a heap of frustration by the sounds of things! I expect a couple of hours at your desk will make a welcome change after slaving over the cooker desk!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thanks for reading my blog...feel free to leave a comment