Wednesday 19 November 2014

WOYWW

 Hello peeps, this week on Whats on your Workdesk Wednesday its more of a case of whats on my lounge floor as I cannot show the dining room table (full of half constructed Christmas sewing) or my craft room desk (full of half constructed Christmas paper stuff!!).  So I decided to finish off adapting my plugs...as you do!

My rheumatoid arthritis means that some everyday tasks can, at times, present me with  a problem.  Buttons can be difficult (so I tend not to undo them if I can), bottles are heavy (drink the wine through a straw...problem solved)!!  I do like to think I can adapt to most situations....put a glass with some water in front of me and ask me if its half full or half empty I will pick the glass up, drink it and place it back down and tell you I am a problem solver!!

However, plugs can be really difficult to pull out. The therapist said I can buy some plastic wrap things to put round the plugs but they are quite sharp and not the most ergonomic thing in the world so as a crafter I decided to make a solution!

I remembered Shaz had showed me at the WOYWW crop how she used wooden knobs as stamp handles so I thought I would do that on a plug.


 I attached the handle with SUGRU (a brilliant product that is like putty then hardens and can withstand wet, sub zero....the list goes on).

 Then I painted the handles black (I made a few, some with back sugru some with white which I then painted black with acrylic) and then added a couple of coats of varnish to protect it from knocks and voila...a simple to pull out plug.

Sugru comes in small packs and multi packs (like this) which has different colours.  In the UK I bought mine in Comet and have used it to fix the cable on my phone charger and also add grips to various items in the kitchen etc.

Check out their website on www.sugru.com there are some great instructional videos and a gallery of all the cool stuff people have hacked.

So, a different desk from me today (the cutting board on the floor looks a lot tidier than my desk) and the next few weeks may be a bit difficult I will need to ensure I take photos in the early stages of making Christmas presents so the surprise isnt ruined!

So, if you'd like a legal snoop at desks across the globe the pop over to our leader Julias blog (link over on the right).

Happy crafting

Kyla
ps - sorry I forgot to get my "Man Bites Dog" cards out this week!
 

18 comments:

  1. No Man Bites Dog... right that's it, I'm off....Sorry your RA is flaring at the moment, but I love your plug solution, that looks a really neat trick (especially colour co-ordinating it!) Take care, my lovely. Helen 4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now even I who does not have your problem, struggle to get plugs out. They should all come with these handles on! I am going to do this for my mom as her hands are weak and cant pull plugs out either. Great idea! #7

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant idea - shame you can't patent it and make your fortune! Have a lovely, arthritis-free week, Chris # 8

    ReplyDelete
  4. What! first time in a long time I get to surf the blogs and there is no man bites dog!!! OH NO! Sorry to hear the RA problem but fixing the plug that way is an awesome idea! I don't have RA yet my rheumatologist tells me because my ANA and RNA titers are elevated but low! I have osteo which hurts a lot with this colder weather we have been having along with my other issues. Have a great week. Vickie #17

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the perfect solution.

    Fiona #22

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! I could SO use that for this little plug the hooks up my VOIP phone! It is tricky to get to to pull OUT and even harder to sneak back IN. DH sent me a link to this stuff once, saying I could probably find some crafty use for it (making stamps maybe?) but I never got any. Now I wonder.....
    DOH! WOYWW always costs me money....
    :)

    Happy happy WOYWW!
    Mary Anne (1)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have outsmarted the standard plug with a brilliant craft solution :)
    Sandra de @21

    ReplyDelete
  8. No cryptic but real life messages from MBD..blimey, now what will I dream about tonight? Brilliant fix with the plugs - and the Sugur, I cannot agree more, it's little known brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sugru sounds like great stuff! I'll keep that in mind! Ingenious solution to your plug problem! zsuzsa @ InkyDinkyDoodle #39

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kyla, so chuffed that something I mentioned helped you out! That is a very, very clever solution, even those of us without problems can often find plugs difficult to get out, and its a great solution for the elderly too. Get it up on Pinterest! Hoping you get some relief from your RA, can't imagine how difficult that makes everything. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #2 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a useful post for me. You are such a clever lady, Kyla. I need to get me some SUGRU I think! Well done you for coming up with this but I hope the RA has settled a bit. I wonder this Sugru would it work to make tools like hooks/needles and cutlery easier to hold? Take care Zo xx 50

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a clever solution to a problem that most of us wouldn't even think about....hope it makes life easier for you!
    Hugs, LLJ 18 xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now you are a clever girl! I lived some time in the UK and know how nasty these plugs can be. Super solution!
    Cheers
    Gabriele 26

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well this is just brilliant. And they look so nice too!! Well done indeed. Love that you have sewing and paper piles. You could be describing my houses various unfinished project areas LOL Keep smiling and creating

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe you're using this, just been telling talking about it as you can use it to make moulds.
    Great stuff. Have a great crafty week, Angela x 28

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea! Leave it to a crafter to figure out a creative solution! Sorry to hear you have RA. I have fibro so I can relate to seemingly easy tasks turned difficult!
    Hugs from a sister in art from across the pond,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heya Poppet! Sorry to hear your RA is flaring up. Great solution for the plugs though. Will keep that in mind. Would be great for my craft room as some of the sockets are hidden under tables and under beams.
    Will have to look at that Sugru stuff.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks like a great product! I've never heard of it. Good for you that you try to solve creatively.
    I'll be looking forward to next week's ManBitesDog phrase. (I did miss it I must say)
    Sorry I'm late, but I like to take my time and look at everybody's blog. I read it all and look at the links etc.
    Thank you for letting me look over your shoulder.
    Have a good week,
    Lisca#24

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thanks for reading my blog...feel free to leave a comment