Saturday 29 April 2017

Japanese woodblocks



I recently went to the Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Art Gallery (RAMM) in Exeter to see the "Hiroshige's Japan:Stations of the Tokaido Road" exhibition.  

No photography was allowed but I had my sketchbook with me and after some discussion they agreed I was allowed to make sketches!


The exhibitions consisted of a selection of 21 woodblock prints from the early 1800's on loan from the Ashmolean Museum. They were truly stunning and I was particularly taken with the way he recorded people and their movements.


Sunrise at Shinagawa, Utagawa Hiroshige I, colour woodblock print


This is an example of some of the work that was on display.  

If you are ever in the Exeter area I thoroughly recommend a trip to the RAAM.  
It is free to get in (some exhibitions have a charge, as this one did, but only £4) and there is such a wide variety of exhibitions to look at.  Also a great cafe and gardens and right in the centre of the city.

Happy crafting
Kyla



2 comments:

  1. great sketch and it sounds a fascinating exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh good tip I think Exeter might be doable when I come over in October - I arrive in Plymouth... can I call in on you in Bristol? as I meander north? I will have LiLi with me...and good french produce- that would expire before reaching the (grim) north and so must be shared in the south... Dxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thanks for reading my blog...feel free to leave a comment