Friday 1 July 2016

Ghibli daps

 Now, I know I am not the only one to fall into this trap.  

You see something on Pinterest and think "ooh, I could make that"
A few weeks go by and several hundred pins later you get round to making a start!
You finish and sit back to admire your work....its rubbish and looks NOTHING like the pin!

Well, on this occasion I was really pleased with the result!

I am a massive Studio Ghibli fan (Japanese Anime) and have seen lots of hand painted trainers on Pinterest recently so thought I would combine the two.

I bought some white daps (Bristol speak for plimsol!) from Lidl for £5 (bargain and surprising comfortable)


Then started sketching out the design in pencil to ensure I had the dimensions right.

  Then I filled the design in using a variety of paints I already had, a mixture of fabric paints and screen printing paints.


I outlined the designs in black and then allowed to dry overnight before setting them with a hot iron (not easy, it involved lots of padding with newspaper and quite a bit of swearing!).



I also gave them a couple of coats of protective spray (the sort for walking boots) and voila, one of a kind Ghibli daps!!


I love these and wish that I had bought more than one pair of shoes now!  If I see them on sale again I may be tempted to buy a black pair and see if I can decorate them too.

I love wearing these and my plan is to try to paint an umbrella next (if anyone has any tips on this then PLEASE get in touch as at the moment it's just a crazy idea!!).

Happy crafting
Kyla





3 comments:

  1. I thought daps was a brand name! *slaps head* Primark sometimes gets cheap plimsolls in, I'll have to look but I adore these!! Definitely do more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought daps was a brand name! *slaps head* Primark sometimes gets cheap plimsolls in, I'll have to look but I adore these!! Definitely do more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are brilliant - no tips on an umbrella though!

    Emma

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thanks for reading my blog...feel free to leave a comment